About Community Foods Market: Community Foods Market is a purpose-driven company that is opening a food market and café in a neighborhood of West Oakland that has not had a supermarket since the 1970s. Our goals are to have a positive impact on people’s lives, be a neighborhood anchor and build community. We want to use food to bring people together and create social connections that enrich community life. We also want to support our customers in making healthier choices by introducing them to fresher and more nutritious foods and providing them with information, education and incentives. Finally, we want to create a team-oriented workplace culture in which our employees feel a sense of purpose in their work, are empowered to make a difference, are continuously developing themselves, and strive to provide the best possible service and customer experience.
The Position: Reporting to the CEO and working closely with the Management Team, the Administration and Human Resources Manager will help build our startup business, with a focus on establishing and conducting administrative and human resource management activities including but not limited to bookkeeping, human resource processes, cash controls and office management.
- Assist management team to create and implement HR policies and procedures
- New hire onboarding including processing paperwork, entering employees into human resource management system and conducting background checks
- Maintain and manage employee documentation, contracts and files
- Manage employee deductions, deposits, and 401(k) plans
- Coordinate workers compensation insurance policy, case administration and audits
- Maintain employee files and records including maintaining and auditing I-9s and W-2s
- Track and maintain records for leave of absence, sick leave, vacation leave, and FMLA
- Maintain compliance with labor laws and best practices including COBRA and OSHA
- Act as primary liaison to employees on HR policies, procedures and other information
- Set up and maintain accounts payables including vendor/merchant and contractor information, receive bills and invoices and enter data for accounts payables processing.
- Ensure distribution of all vendor payments and payments of financing instruments including credit cards, loan and lines of credit
- Conduct data entry into bookkeeping system as needed including journal entries, expenses and revenues, assets and liabilities
- Provide support to payroll including maintaining time records and distributing paychecks
- Reconcile daily sales against deposits to ensure balanced entries post into the system.
- Perform basic cash handling procedures in store as well as bank reconciliation, balancing of safe and conducting deposits
- Allocate, collect and balance out tills from Front End upon opening and closing procedures as well as change drawer.
- Assist in ensuring that all Front End security procedures are followed while handling cash
- Help create and maintain policies and procedures in regards to cash reports, deposits, check handling and any reconciliations necessary with overages and/or shortages.
ADMIN & OFFICE MANAGEMENT
- Maintain insurance policies including liability, property and healthcare insurance
- Monitor repairs and basic maintenance of all office and register equipment Schedule and coordinate regular servicing and repairs with vendors/IT
- Answer incoming calls and assist with inquiries and/or direct to the appropriate department/person. Ensure continuous phone coverage
- Purchase, stock and manage inventory of all office supplies and store uniforms
- Keep office and front outer office clean and efficiently organized
- Provide Front End support to digital marketing programs
- Have the ability to complete other duties as needed
The Candidate: Someone who is at least 18 years of age with at least two years of administrative, accounting and human resources experience who is personable, creative, reliable and hardworking. This individual must be excited to take initiative and be a leader in a startup business, able to thrive in a fast paced, sometimes stressful, environment and manage changing priorities, schedules and multiple tasks simultaneously. S/he must have good skills in organization, problem solving, time-management, communication and planning. This person must be committed to our social mission and appreciate its importance to the business. We seek someone who is personable, culturally competent and able to work well with the ethnic diversity of the community. Familiarity with and knowledge of West Oakland is a strong preference.
- Willing to work early mornings, nights and weekends
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Knowledgeable in bookkeeping and accounting including use of accounting software
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality and integrity in personnel and financial matters.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
This job description does not promise nor imply that the functions listed above are the only duties to be performed. Employees are always expected to perform tasks requested by their supervisors and be able to execute additional duties as needed.
The Compensation: The salary will be a minimum of $50,000, with the possibility of a higher salary offer based on experience and qualifications. We offer a 15% discount on purchases throughout the store, bottomless free coffee, a medical plan after 90 days of employment, and a 401K retirement plan after one year of employment. Paid vacation will begin to accrue after one year of employment.
Please send current resume, three professional references and a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Community Foods Market is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply. An arrest record or felony conviction will not necessarily preclude from employment with us.